Thanet District Council’s Recovery Plan
Westgate-on-Sea Town Council
Our high streets are an important part of Thanet District Council’s Recovery Plan and supporting local businesses through recovery is a key priority.
Government has confirmed that non-essential retail can reopen from Monday 15 June 2020 provided the recommended Covid-19 safety guidelines have been implemented.
The council is set to receive £126,456 from the Reopening High Streets Safely Fund to help adapt public spaces and communicate the changes. This new £50 million fund, allocated from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), has been introduced for all councils in England to help local businesses establish safe trading on the high streets. Receipt of this funding is dependent on it being used to support very specific activities in line with guidelines.
We would like to outline to you some of the activity Thanet District Council is doing to support the High Streets and to ask for your support to help share this information with your contacts.
What is Thanet District Council doing?
We are supporting businesses as they begin to reopen with practical measures to help manage high streets and ensure that customers return to shops, confident that it is safe to do so.
As part of phase one, we are working with local town and parish councils on the following activity:
- Installing signage in High Streets in accordance with the Government guidelines around social distancing and pedestrian flow. This will be a phased approach with the focus on the High Streets in Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate, Westgate, Birchington and Northdown Road, Cliftonville to begin with.
- Where required, reconfiguring the high street furniture to safely manage the flow of pedestrians.
- Providing up to date guidance online via a dedicated webpage www.thanet.gov.uk/highstreets to support businesses reopening.
- Signposting businesses to the Kent and Medway Growth Hub Covid-19 business support hotline on 03333 602 300 (lines are open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6.30pm) and to Thanet District Council’s support line 01843 577 330 (line open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).
- Contacting high street businesses with information on the essential top 5 Steps to Working Safety during Covid-19 and signposting to the web page and support line. Please see attached flyer.
- 01843 836182
Find Westgate-on-Sea Town Council
78 St Mildreds Road, Westgate-On-Sea, Kent, CT8 8RF